[Wine] Re: Using wine for automatization

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 18:09:37 CDT 2006

Dirk Theelen wrote:
> I have a windows application that is runnable under wine. Now i want
> this app to be controllable without the gui.

Here's a suggestion, anyway.

Redirect the application's X display to an X server running Xvfb (X
virtual framebuffer).
That way the GUI will be hidden from view.

Try if you can control the application by sending mouse / keyboard
commands through it's message loop using the standard Win32 API
functions - PostMessage (or SendMessage) with WM_MOUSExxx and
WM_KEYxxx messages.

You could be relieved of having to modify Wine sources this way, I think.

Perhaps you can even use automation software such as AutoIt or
AutoHotkey instead of a homegrown solution.

Hope it's helpful =)