[Wine] Version checking

Andrew Senff andrew at autobaun.net
Tue Aug 22 20:35:31 CDT 2006

AB Spam/AV Checker..-Message-ID: <115629756510704792 at www.autobaun.net>

Hello all,

 I have a quick question if anyone knows the answer... How is it that most
programs check the file information in windows? I am still having some
troubles with Dungeons and Dragons Stormreach where the game errors with
"Wrong version of the client installed" . The problem is that I am using
read/write ntfs support, and the install of the game works flawlessly in
windows. I am using the same directory just linking to the folder from wine.
(ln -s /mnt/win/Program\ Files/blah/)

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where the game is
trying to get the version information. At least figure out how programs have
done this in the past to see if I can get around this error. Also how does
wine set the windows version? I know how to set it in winecfg but, I was
thinking the game is having a hard time finding the windows version and then
crashes. Is there multiple ways to find this info out from a programming
stand point?

Wine debug output is nil. There isn't anything useful or I would send the
log along. No wine errors (just the normal d3d errors) here is the last line
just in case someone wants to see it:

fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState
(0x18dbb0)->(WINED3DRS_SRGBWRITEENAB
LE,0) not handled yet
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetSoftwareVertexProcessing (0x18dbb0) : stub
fixme:powermgnt:SetThreadExecutionState (0x80000001): stub, harmless.
err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Could not map sound device for direct access
(Input/outp
ut error)
err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Please run winecfg, open "Audio" page and set
"Hardware Acceleration" to "Emulation".
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e37fb80 "x11drv_main.c:
X11DRV_C
ritSection" wait timed out in thread 000e, blocked by 0009, retrying (60
sec)

err:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_SetMem Not supported on render targets
fixme:powermgnt:SetThreadExecutionState (0x80000000): stub, harmless.

Thanks in advance,

andrew