[Wine] Re: printing issue with notepad and some other apps

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Fri Aug 25 01:57:09 CDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 19:42 schrieb Duane Clark:
> Stefan Munz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > while installing some windows apps I stumbled about a problem that even
> > shows up in Wine's notepad implementation:
> >
> > If I try to print with notepad, it uses a very big font (about 16pt I
> > guess). I can change the font in notepad. I tried to copy my windows
> > fonts into .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts. But only the font on the display
> > changes, the print-out stays exactly the same.
> > Another thing what I think is related to the above problem is, that the
> > paper size isn't calculated correct. My text is just cut off at the right
> > end of the paper. No line-break is made. It looks like Wine thinks that
> > my paper is just a bit wider than it really is.
> > (A pdf doc with a print-out is a attached)
> >
> > The same two problems show up with some other apps that I use (but there
> > is no download/demo version available).
> >
> > I tried Wine version 0.9.19, 0.9.17 and 0.9, compiled from source under
> > kubuntu and the 0.9 binary. ( I already tried a new .wine dir/ run
> > wineprefixcreate).
>
> If you compile from source, you probably need to make sure you have
> fontforge installed, else the Wine supplied fonts will not be installed
> or used. To see whether they were, you could check the directory
> /usr/local/share/wine/fonts (that is the default location).

fontforge is installed an there are some .fon Fonts in share/wine/fonts/

munz at ubuntu:~$ fontforge --version
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 by George Williams.
 Executable based on sources from 17:48 11-Sep-2005.
fontforge 20050911

> Are you sure you tried testing with 0.9.19? With that version, you
> should be able to change the font in notepad, and the printer font will
> change (though it becomes way too small for me). Versions prior to
> 0.9.18 would indeed not change the printer font.

I tried with my new 0.9.20 and indeed changing the font in notepad works (it
is too small for me too ). Though I don't know why it didn't with 0.9.19.

I try installing my other apps with 0.9.20 and take a look wether printing
works better than before.

> The real problem is that I really don't know the right way to write
> printer code. Mainly I threw together a quick hack in notepad awhile
> back, because we were getting a rash of people who complained printing
> in Wine didn't work, because they were testing with notepad. What it
> really needs is someone who knows what they are doing, and willing to
> spend a small amount of time on it. Lines don't wrap during printing
> because the printer code makes no attempt to do so. It probably would
> not be difficult to add that.

I can provide you information on what I've trying to do and test patches if it
helps. I can code C/C++, but did'nt provide any wine patch until now.
Line wrapping isn't that important for me personally. But that my printer just
cuts off about 1cm at the left side and the bottom really hurts ;-)

> Also, there is a wine developer working on a revamping of the Wine
> printer code itself. Hopefully some of that will make it's way into Wine
> sometime soon.

Do you know who it is, maybe I should contact him directly?

cu,

Stean