[Wine] Re: Double-clicking Windows .exe's (was "What apps work in Wine")

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Aug 25 08:52:59 CDT 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:11:32 +0200
"Fabien Meghazi" <agr at amigrave.com> wrote:

> In that situation I would know that using wine is 100% safe. The only
> risk would be for files in ~/.wine/c_drive and this is normal. And if
> I need to write somewhere from wine, I prefer manually symlink the
> folder where I want to write in /tmp
>
> Is it possible to do that ? If not I think it should be a primordial
> feature for security using wine.

Hi there,
I've come back to wine after many years (8 or so) and it's quite amazing how
far the project has come! I'm now running it on my laptop (FBSD 6.1 ) and
looking into porting some apps.... Anyway, that was more as a way of saying
that I may be talking nonsense with my following suggestion...

if security is of such concern (and you can't run the software on a test box
that can get nuked without much ado) , i suppose you could always run the app
(and wine + supporting libs) chrooted and export the display to your X session... Jails in
FBsd could be used as well, or vserver under linux.

WDYT?

Beto