[Wine] Compiling wine on AMD64

Patrick Leamon pleamonhp at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 26 15:50:57 CDT 2006

I've been trying various ways of getting wine running on my 64 bit
ubuntu machine.  So far I haven't been very successful.  I am trying
the source for 0.9.20 and I'm using the latest k8 kernel in ubuntu.
I have  an nvidia card and am using the latest glx drivers available
in ubuntu (1.0.8762).

I am using the guide here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

with help from here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/browse_thread/thread/014dc737d64d660a/c6a0418f8bb469a5?lnk=raot

and I used the dapper.sh script from here to install libraries:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BuildingWineFromSource

I managed to build a version of wine which looked like it was
working, but then I realised that I hadn't built it with OpenGL
support (wasn't paying enough attention at the configure stage).  I
removed it and started again, now configure is telling me:

configure: WARNING: Wine will be build without OpenGL or Direct3D
support
configure: WARNING: because something is wrong with the OpenGL setup:
configure: WARNING: No OpenGL library found on this system.

I'm new to all this and completely baffled.  Are there no OpenGL
libraries available for ubuntu64?  Am I missing something from my
lib32 directories?

Here is some of the output of the 'checking' stages:
checking for XF86VidModeQueryExtension in -lXxf86vm... no
checking for XRenderSetPictureTransform in -lXrender... no
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GL/glext.h... yes
checking for GL/glu.h... yes
checking for up-to-date OpenGL version... yes
checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... no
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes
checking for glutMainLoop in -lglut... no

So, am I close?  Or should I give up this method and try one of the
others?

I had one unsuccessful attempt using this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WineForAMD64

Like a lot of other people I'm trying to get WoW running - I've seen
it already on a 386 kernel and was amazed at how well it works.

thanks,
  Patrick