[Wine] Strange slowdown calling Wine from PHP

Bruce Fletcher befletch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 17:07:17 CDT 2006

I'm getting some odd behaviour from Wine when I call it from PHP, and
I was wondering if someone who has the command line version of PHP
installed would be willing to give the following test a try to see if
it is something local to me or not.

When I call Wine from a PHP script, it runs perfectly quickly.  When I
call that PHP script from another one, the whole thing slows down
dramatically.  Here's a geeky summary:

temp$ which php
/usr/local/bin/php
temp$ ls
bar.php  foo.php
temp$ cat foo.php
#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?php

`./bar.php`;

?>
temp$ cat bar.php
#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?php

`wine --version`;

?>
temp$ time wine --version
Wine 20041019

real    0m0.016s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.006s
temp$ time ./bar.php
Wine 20041019

real    0m0.023s
user    0m0.008s
sys     0m0.006s
temp$ time ./foo.php
Wine 20041019

real    0m3.034s
user    0m0.013s
sys     0m0.008s

Note the 3 second real time penalty for calling Wine from the second
level PHP script.

I don't see this with other utilities called from PHP, and I don't see
this problem with Wine called from shell scripts.  If someone could
run foo.php and bar.php and post what they see, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
- Bruce

PS, I'm running PHP 4.3.9 on 64-bit Fedora Core 2, for reference.