[Wine] Running Win32 application from wine

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Dec 4 22:14:09 CST 2006

>  Hi,
Hi Lukas/Ahoj Lukáši,

> I would like to use Wine on gentoo for utilization of commercial
> software that our company uses. Unfortunately only copying the home
> directory does not seem to be sufficient, because after copying some
> dll libraries that program desired it returns problem with
> insufficient installed program. I tried to install it from original
> cd, but after the main graphic screen, it just shows Setup wizard is
> preparing installation and finishes. No error, just no action (not
> only no graphical effect, but also no CPU utilization).
It would be nice to know more about your wine. Which version are you
trying ? It's a known thing that wine versions installed regularly
from various Linux distributions are often very outdated. Current wine
is 0.9.26. From my own experience, wine is making progress constantly
and upgrading for about 3 - 5 revisions can make a really big difference
in usability (sometimes also "backwards" :-) but regressions are being
fixed regularly). So if your wine seems old compared to the current
version, try to compile your own using a current git/CVS version.

>  Could yu please recommend me something to make running, find the
> problem or provide some documentation/howto links other than winehq
> main page?
Once you have a recent wine, we can make some traces to find more, where
the problem exactly is. Please keep us informed.
                      With regads, Pavel Troller