[Wine] re: yahoo messenger 7 error

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Dec 14 20:17:20 CST 2006

Radu wrote:

> What does the following message mean?
> $ wine YPager.exe
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object  {24f3ead6-8b87-4c1a-97da-71c126bda08f} could be created for context 0x7
>
>I know it's related to Activex objects, but I want to know more about
this problem.

Searching for that UUID, I found
http://www.myplugins.info/guids/typeinfo/typeinfo.php?clsid=%7B24F3EAD6-8B87-4C1A-97DA-71C126BDA08F%7D
which implies that it's an internal Yahoo class
for doing HTTP I/O (i.e. talking to web servers).

The usual way to learn more about Wine problems is to turn
on a bit more logging.  In this case,
$ WINEDEBUG=+ole wine YPager.exe
will probably show you the problem.  On my just-installed copy
of yahoo messenger, it shows:

warn:ole:create_server failed to run local server L"C:\\Program
Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\ft60.dll -Embedding"

right before the error you saw.  So it's having
trouble starting up a COM server, probably due to
Wine's incomplete COM support.
- Dan