[Wine] running a .EXE

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Thu Dec 21 12:26:13 CST 2006

I have two computers with wine installed. The first is a Fedora Core 6
with all updates running wine-0.9.25. The second is a RHEL4 with
wine-0.9.27 compiled from source (./configure, make, make install). In
both cases I have a dual-boot partition with a WindowsXP NTFS, and I can
install and run ntfs-3g with no problem.

In the first system, I can navigate to the location of NOTEPAD.EXE and
invoke it directly as './NOTEPAD.EXE' from a bash prompt. In the second
system, I need to do 'wine NOTEPAD.EXE'.

Can someone help me understand how to make the second system respond
directly to an invocation of a windows executable and how this actually
works. Is this ld.so, binfmt_misc or some file suffix association magic
going on and how does it work, please?

Charles