[Wine] RE: running a .EXE

Jonathan Ernst jonathan at ernstfamily.ch
Fri Dec 22 03:18:46 CST 2006

Le jeudi 21 décembre 2006 à 16:00 -0800, Charles Krinke a écrit :

> [...]

Binfmt is something that has to be present in the kernel in order to
work so it's not present in every system. Also there are security
implications and most people don't want that .exe act as normal
executables. You can already simply double-click on .exe files and
shortcuts as they are associated with wine, I think it's simple enough.

When using command-line, it's not too hard to type wine xyz.exe
(especially using bash-completion).

If you want to use binfmt you'll have to search the Web for instructions
on how to set it up or wait until someone gives you the right
configuration (you can also check your Fedora system). Keep in mind that
mono executables also end in .exe...

> Is there some wine package, say winetools that manipulates binfmt perhaps?

Please don't use winetools, it'll break your wine profile.

Jonathan

P.S. Don't forget to reply to the list too...