[Wine] Re: paths, paths & more paths

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Sat Dec 23 17:02:11 CST 2006

	-----Original Message-----
	From: wine-users-bounces at winehq.org on behalf of Duane Clark
	Sent: Sat 12/23/2006 1:17 PM
	To: wine-users at winehq.com
	Subject: [Wine] Re: paths, paths & more paths

	Charles Krinke wrote:
	> The answer is fairly simple. I have a few apps, starting with
	> CodeWright and next MetaDeveloper (a C compiler for an ARC processor
	> that only exists as a Windows set of .EXE files) that I would like to
	> run from Linux to avoid using two computers for a project that
	> compiles using both Windows and Linux toolchains using wine.
	>
	> There are few if any registry entries, but there are a few DLL's. So,
	> it seems that adding the .EXE's and  .DLL's to the path when using
	> the Windows partition is the most straightforward solution.

	There is no "Wine convention" that I am aware of for doing something
	like that, so I guess just try things until you like how it works. I
	would still suggest copying over the apps, unless you are really
	determined to save the disk space. Then you can be sure running under
	Wine won't do anything to mess up your Windows partition.

	Assuming there is no reason to be changing the environment variables,
	why not just set them permanently? In your ~/.wine/system.reg, there is
	a section that begins:
	[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Session Manager\\Environment]
	I guess that is where you would want to set them. I prefer to use a
	plain text editor, but I guess regedit could be used too.

	Thank you Duane, thats the sort if information I was interested in. At this point, I am more interested in understanding how wine fits together then pertubating files on the windows partition.

	Charles