[Wine] DC++ doesn't work with Wine?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Dec 30 07:24:36 CST 2006

On Saturday December 30 2006 12:00, Caguatul wrote:
> Greetings to all,
>
> This is my first text on this discussion board and i would like to ask why
> when i try to emulate DC++ the program remains for a few seconds on display
> and after that it closes.
>
> I tried to emulate WinAmp too, but it emulates only the interface, i can't
> open a file cos it shows me no location, and drag'n'drop it's just not
> working.

	What do you mean by "emulate"? Wine isn't emulator (WINE = Wine Is Not
Emulator) - it doesn't emulate programs, it runs them. This is big
difference. This also means that there is no any performance penalty because
of emulation (but it is possible to have performance penalties because of
other problems as well as it is possible to have programs working faster than
under Windows).
	Don't know about DC++ but WinAmp 5 works perfectly under Wine. For better
experience run it within desktop without border. For example:

wine explorer /desktop=WinAmp,640x960 winamp.exe

	Then hide border of the desktop. At least this is how I run it - you may
prefer other ways. And yes drag'n'drop really doesn't work. But everything
else works perfectly. So if it doesn't work for then please tell how you
obtain Wine? You installed it throw package or compiled yourself from source?
If you didn't compile it yourself then please try. This is very simple.
Uninstall your current Wine. Download
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-0.9.28.tar.bz2 , unpack it then
cd to directory with Wine source code and execute:

./configure && make depend && make all install

	I think that it is very likely that you use precompiled Wine from your
distribution because very often people have problems with Wine copies with
non-official modifications. But these problems isn't Wine problems at all. So
please compile Wine from source as I described above. If after that it
doesn't work as expected (for example WinAmp 5 cannot open files) then please
answer with more information: what version of WinAmp you try to run? What
version of DC++ you try to run? Also please provide download links for
programs (or at least demo-versions) if possible. This information is
neccessary if you want specific help for specific programs.