[Wine] winecfg doews not start - X_CreateWindow error

Christian Friedrich h.c.friedrich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:18:03 CST 2006

Hello there,

It was working just fine for two hours.
Last thing i did in winecfg was setting display to 32bit colors, maybe a bad
idea since me laptop only supports 24bit but the progam i wanted to run
complaied about display modes
Now wine will not run any programs and even wincfg won't start. I get

~$ winecfg
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  23

I tried complete removing and reinstalling wine via synaptic then via
apt-get and finally by compiling it, but the error message stays the same.
Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling the whole system?

-chris