[Wine] Borland Database Engine related installer issue (Portal GT-D)

Michael Edwards miedward at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 22:30:05 CST 2006

I am attempting to install the Portal GT-D mud client
(www.gameaxle.com) on top of wine-0.9.6-1.fc4 which I then
reconfigured using winetools-0.9-3jo after failing to install MS
Office XP Pro (which I never did get to work either, but I found some
references saying that it wasn't likely to).  IE6 installed and runs
for what it is worth.  I run the setup program in the style the wine
tools use (WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" WINEDLLOVERRIDES="" setarch i386 wine
SETUP.EXE).  The setup includes installing and configuring the Borland
Database Engine and proceeds quite a way before it throws an error
window reading

Merging the Configuration File Has Failed
Config File: c:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE\IDAPI.CNF

It continues and throws another error window titled "Failed in Adding
Alias" reading:
The error number is 3, Installation Failed.

The console doesn't display any messages at all, which is somewhat unusal.

The installation continues and appears to succeed but the application
does not successfully run (unsuprisingly).

Anyway, I am interested in getting this to work and I am open to
suggestion as to how to proceed and experement.

Thanks, wine is a really interesting project I would like to learn more about!