[Wine] BIDI (Hebrew) Support

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 05:20:19 CST 2006

Hello,

I've looked for a BIDI HOW-TO, but did not find any.

I use wine-0.9.5, and run IE using ies4linux. It works great
including Hebrew showing Hebrew text correctly.

The problem is that I could not write any Hebrew
character... Whenever I type a character I get "?".

So I've looked at wine-bidi issues, and found that I need to
compile wine with icu library. I did! using 3.4 and 2.8.

Using this new wine+icu, the IE stopped to show Hebrew text
correctly, and I still could not type Hebrew characters.

I've tested the test program 01-biditest.c, it is strange
since it fails on Windows (2003) and succeeds under wine.

My questions:
1. How do I get BIDI support for IE without ICU?
2. Why ICU interfere with the BIDI support of IE (If IE
comes with its own BIDI implementation).
3. Can I configure something in order to write Hebrew text
in wine?

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.