[Wine] BIDI (Hebrew) Support

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:25:37 CST 2006

On 2/7/06, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 2/4/06, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've looked for a BIDI HOW-TO, but did not find any.
> >>
> >> I use wine-0.9.5, and run IE using ies4linux. It works great
> >> including Hebrew showing Hebrew text correctly.
> >>
> >> The problem is that I could not write any Hebrew
> >> character... Whenever I type a character I get "?".
> >>
> >> So I've looked at wine-bidi issues, and found that I need to
> >> compile wine with icu library. I did! using 3.4 and 2.8.
> >>
> >> Using this new wine+icu, the IE stopped to show Hebrew text
> >> correctly, and I still could not type Hebrew characters.
> >>
> >> I've tested the test program 01-biditest.c, it is strange
> >> since it fails on Windows (2003) and succeeds under wine.
> >>
> >> My questions:
> >> 1. How do I get BIDI support for IE without ICU?
> >> 2. Why ICU interfere with the BIDI support of IE (If IE
> >> comes with its own BIDI implementation).
> >> 3. Can I configure something in order to write Hebrew text
> >> in wine?
> >>

> >> Best Regards,
> >> Alon Bar-Lev.
> >>

> > I've also struggled with IE in Hebrew. I don't remember everything
> > that I did, but I could never type. Even cut and paste would leave
> > ???'s.
> >
> > I did manage to get a Hebrew installation of Office working properly.
> > I think that was with Crossover Offive 4.x, but even with CX I could
> > not type in IE. Which is horrible because so many Hebrew sites require
> > IE (walla mail, d.co.il maps, etc etc). Just write to them (like I
> > did) and then go find replacement websites (like I did). When they
> > loose enogh golshim they will change.
>

> Thank you Dotan!
> I do send a notice to every mailform site! But it does not
> help... All the banks in Israel do not support standard
> DHTML, and I did not find a mapping site that works either!
>
> I still hope to hear an answer weather somebody succeeded in
> writing Hebrew....
>
> Best Regards,
> Alon Bar-Lev.

Bank HaPoalim website works perfectly in Firefox on Linux- that's why
I switched to them and left Discount. And I _told_ discount that is
why I left.

I finally found a map site that works in FF, but forgot to bookmark
it! Try Opera, though- lots of them work. Use the links from mapot.com

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/