[Wine] Sims help

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:24:12 CST 2006

D. Rodin wrote:
> I am trying Wine 20050725-ubu to run the game.

One word.  Upgrade.

> When I begin the install I get a load of this;
>
> fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease destroy child objects

Fixme's are for the developers eyes.
For the most part, you can ignore them.
(You can filter them out with WINEDEBUG=fixme-all if you wish.)

> err:ole:marshal_object object doesn't expose interface
> {be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2}, failing with error 0x80004002
>
> err:ole:ClientIdentity_QueryMultipleInterfaces
> IRemUnknown_RemQueryInterface failed with error 0x80004002

Hmm, something InstallShield-y fails.
Somebody from CodeWeavers probably knows why, as they have experience
with this stuff:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/challenge
But they're probably very busy people, so you better find out some more first.

You could search the archives for the UID, maybe there are others
who've seen the same:
http://search.gmane.org/?query=be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2&group=gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
http://search.gmane.org/?query=be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2&group=gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel

As this error seems to recur multiple times and the installer
continues, my guess is that it's non-fatal, but I'm not sure.

Carrying on...

> fixme:ole:RpcChannelBuffer_GetDestCtx (0x7fb4ef68,0x7fb4ef6c), stub!

> fixme:ole:_copy_arg Should not use VariantChangeType here. (conversion
> from 0x3 -> 0xb) 7ec0ffff

> fixme:font:load_VDMX Failed to retrieve vTable

> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_SetWindowRgn not supported on other thread window
> 0x20026

> fixme:ole:VARIANT_UserFree handle unknown complex type

More fixme's, let's ignore those..

> err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory
> 'L"Z:\\home\\dr\\Desktop"'.

Why would that fail?
Perhaps you should help it out by making sure that there's a "Desktop"
folder inside your home folder.  And make sure that it's writable to
your Wine installation!

This could be why it fails, but then again, maybe it's not.

> Then the install continues to run, seems to load the 1 st disk, I put in
> the 2nd disk and the installer indicates it is the wrong disk and stops.

And there's no more output on the console for you to look at?
That's not so good, since now is when it's actually interesting to look at it..

Maybe the .exe file you've run starts another installer .exe.
If I had to guess, I'd say that that new process should inherit the
current stdout/stderr and thus continue logging to the console, but it
doesn't, or?

> The only way to get away from the installer is Cnrl-C in the terminal
> window.

It'll do that.

> I do not wish to waste much of your time, if I am too new to cope with
> this then let me know.  But any help would be appreciated.

HTH.