[Wine] Wine & Putty & telnet

Zvone Zagar zvone.zagar at aero.si
Thu Feb 9 10:56:01 CST 2006

jm wrote:

>On 2/9/06, Zvone Zagar <zvone.zagar at aero.si> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I am new to the list. In fact I have been using 'wine' just for a couple
>>of days. Well I use Linux for many, many years.
>>I have installed Wine ver. 0.9.7 on SuSE 9.3 (rpm) and SuSE 9.0
>>(compiled from source). Then I tried Putty 0.58.
>>It starts OK. I can get login prompt from any sshd. But I don't get a
>>login prompt when I try to connect to any telnet servers.
>>Putty for Linux works.
>>Any idea ? I would appreciate any clue.
>>

>>Regards Zvone Zagar

>if putty for linux works, why use putty via wine?  it's just an
>additional, unneccesary layer adding complexity.
>if you want to connect to a ssh server, why not just use ssh?
>if you want to connect to a telnet server, why not just use telnet?
>
>does putty via wine give some additional functionality that the
>readily available, simpler programs don't?

I must explain it. I am aware of that. But in Linux version of Putty I
have problem emulating DEC VT220. Application keyboard (using ESC[n~)
does not  allow me to switch between Numeric and Application keypad
(Using CTRL + NUMLOCK). I must use 'xterm R6' setting which places
PF1-PF4 keys on different location. I have many users now running Putty
on Windows 9x. I want migrate these users to Linux and  if possible keep
existing PF* keys layout.
I know I have more options (xterm - up to and including  SuSE 9.0,
mlterm, xiterm).  I  have been using these emulators for quite some time.
Ok. If  Putty + Wine will not work I am going to resort to above
mentioned solutions.

Thanks for your time and tips !