[Wine] office xp pro

GuruLounge - MailLists maillists at gurulounge.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 9 14:52:08 CST 2006

Actually, that's what I did, just run SETUP from the Office 2000
installer CD.  I did have problems when I tried to install EVERYTHING.
So I just installed Word (and perhaps Excel) and disabled everything
else.  After that I used the wine "uninstaller" to run the Add/Remove
Office Components - and installed individual apps one at a time.  I
always did a "wineboot" at console to make sure everything registered
correctly before proceeding to the next component.  Wineboot would
sometimes give an error with some components - which I could only
ignore.

This was the best method I've found for installing office.  I know that
when I tried to do an install of multiple components (i.e. Word, Excel,
Access..etc) the installer would "loop" when completing installation).
I don't think this occurred when I did one app at a time.  If it did, I
would wait a while then CTRL+C to stop the process.

At any rate, this is how I managed to successfully install Access and
Outlook and actually get them to work.

If you try this, remember to do "wineboot" prior to each install.

As far as your question.  I DID have to install dcom98 to get other
programs to install.  But I DID NOT install msiexec.  I let either IE6
or Office 2K installer do that for me.  Remember, when it requires a
reboot, do "wineboot" after the wineserver shuts down.

Jeff

--

     .^.
     /V\