[Wine] Newbie wants to run Forte Agent

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 13 21:20:47 CST 2006

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I'm new to the list and to Wine.
>
> I loaded wine wine-0.9.7-i486-S10.2 into Slackware 10.1 in order to run
> the Forte Agent newsreader.  It was setup and running under Win4lin
> which I have discontinued.
>
> What would be the syntax to load Forte Agent and specify the old
> "start-in" directory used under Win4lin?
>
> wine ./agent  something_for_start-in_directory ??
>
> Does Wine have the concept of a Desktop with icons or is winefile what
> we must use?
>
> Thanks, Larry

I mostly figured this out.  What I did is create a new link to
application on the kde desktop which allows me to specify both the
initial command line and start-up directory.  When I specified the
directory I was using under Win4lin, Agent loaded just fine with my
settings intact.

I've heard for years that Agent ran well in Wine and it's a very great
pleasure to see just how well it does.

There are only two small problems left - the fonts are very tiny which
perhaps can be set in Agent itself and I'd like to somehow capture the
Agent icon of a man in a red hat (not related to Red Hat) and a black
pipe.  Anyone know of a good way of extracting Windows program icons and
using them in in a window manager like kde?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux