[Wine] Wine based "Windows desktop"

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Tue Jan 17 07:36:28 CST 2006

Hans Christian Studt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like set up a Linux desktop icon and menu item that will launch
> a wine based "Windows desktop".
>
> Ideally the "Windows desktop" should look excactlly like a *default*
> windows 2K/XP desktop.
>
> Is this possible ?
> Has anybody already done so ?
> Is that already docemented somewhere ?
>
> I think this would allow more users to try out wine using the familar
> windows gui interface.
>
> Next step would be to install simple windows applications all within the
> familar windows environmet.

In case you really want an environment feeling just like the windows XP
desktop, you could either make a special window manager that responds as
much like that windows desktop as possible (that'd be loads of work) --
or just use one of the window managers for which there are themes to
make desktop similar to the XP one (for instance, KDE comes pretty close
I thought, when configured to use windows-like looks and behaviours)
It's up to the user to choose to use that window manager and/or theme,
ofcourse

HTH,

Joris