[Wine] What is Wine?

André Carvalho acarvalho at abordo.com.br
Mon Jan 23 07:23:47 CST 2006

You probably get more confused when people tell you that wine is an
implementation of the Windows API, but if you don't know what API means,
this definition doesn't help much.

API (Application Programming Interface), is the interface that a
computer system or application provides in order to allow requests for
service to be made of it by other computer programs, and/or to allow
data to be exchanged between them.

That's what Wine is trying to do, make the applications "think" they are
running on Windows because all the dlls needed and services are provided
by Wine.

Also, if you are a programmer, you could compile your programm using
wine libraries and make it run easier on Wine.

Wine is not an emulator.

André Carvalho.