[Wine] Re: Printing - using WINE

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Jul 3 13:43:36 CDT 2006

Sven Rudolph wrote:

> Configuring your printer:
> -----------------------
>
> - Wine comes with a printer file called generic.ppd. Copy it to your cups
> directory:
> cp /usr/share/wine/generic.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/generic.ppd
> (change the paths if necessary)
> - make sure you have a local cupsd running. Using a remote cupsd doesn't
> work with wine. At least it didn't work for me. If you already have a local
> cupsd running, make sure to restart it.
> - Add a new printer, e.g. wineprinter, and configure it to use the
> generic.ppd. On the pagee "Hersteller" choose "Postscript", on the
> page "Modell" choose "Generic postscript printer(en)"
> - Test your printer configuration by running "wine notepad" and try to print
> a sample text file. Remember to choose "Print to file". Check if the
> file "FILE:" was generated.

For what it is worth, I have never copied Wine's generic.ppd file
anywhere. You might want to take a look at /etc/cups/ppd. This is where
CUPS will normally install the PPD file it is actually using. I am
guessing that it did not use the generic.ppd file you copied over.

When printing from Wine to the remote printer, you only want to use
generic postscript if the remote printer really is postscript. When I
use the above instructions and print directly from Wine, my PCL printer
prints out pages of raw postscript code ;) Same happens if I print to
FILE: and then send it to that printer with:
lpr -Pgeneric_kotao FILE: