[Wine] Wine : Programs requires .Net Framework 1.1

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Wed Jul 12 10:38:51 CDT 2006

David Baron wrote:
> Onwe should be able to run such programs without the benefits of wine. Install
> mono, Novell's opensource knockoff of .net.
>
> Let us know how it works out!

Most of the apps I have wanted to run use .net for some parts of the app
but the main part still was hooking directly to the windows api so they
will never work with Mono.  I have a feeling Wine will be the only hope
for apps like in the future.

I hope this is not true but I have a feeling that in another 2 years
wine might not be so useful for newer apps if .net does not run on it.
Mono will only go so far...  There are too many developers currently
bypassing .net in parts of their code and hooking directly to windows
only DLLs or APIs.