[Wine] Wine : Programs requires .Net Framework 1.1

Geoff Streeter geoff at dyalog.com
Thu Jul 13 03:38:59 CDT 2006

At 2006-07-12 11:38 -0400, Adam Gibson wrote:
>David Baron wrote:
>>Onwe should be able to run such programs without the benefits of wine.
>>Install mono, Novell's opensource knockoff of .net.
>>Let us know how it works out!
>
>Most of the apps I have wanted to run use .net for some parts of the app
>but the main part still was hooking directly to the windows api so they
>will never work with Mono.  I have a feeling Wine will be the only hope
>for apps like in the future.
>
>I hope this is not true but I have a feeling that in another 2 years wine
>might not be so useful for newer apps if .net does not run on it. Mono
>will only go so far...  There are too many developers currently bypassing
>.net in parts of their code and hooking directly to windows only DLLs or APIs.

It is not quite like that. Developers have existing products to which they
add .NET support. To do a native .NET would involve a complete rewrite. To
add support requires fighting with the marshalling. Mono supports
marshalling (I think) so what is required is the same interfaces between
wine and mono that are supplied by WIN32API and .NET.

Currently, .NET is not a stable target. I am not the .NET developer here
but I know we are currently fighting changes between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0.

Looking forward to wine's long term applicability, I think the lack of 64
bit support might be more of a problem. However, that may be my bias
showing. I have been an unashamed supporter of 64 bit since the DEC Alpha
in the early '90s.

Geoff Streeter