[Wine] Re: New user is confused by some configuration issues

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Sat Jul 15 14:19:05 CDT 2006

Tim Richardson <te.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find the documentation very confusing about how to install native
> DLLs,  which native DLLs to install and where to put them. Some of the
> advice is contradictory.

How: Put them either into windows\system32 or into the applications
directory. Add an appropriate override in winecfg. Which: It depends.

> I have wine 0.9.17 on Ubuntu 6.06
> I see in the system32 a number of DLLs are installed.
> Are these the only copy of the builtin DLLs that wine has?

No. They are merely fakes to satisfy programs which look for the DLLs by
looking for the files.

> Next question: somewhere in a howto on the website, there is a hint the
> wine is much better at Windows 98 APIs than NT APIs, so the suggestion
> was to use Win 98 native DLLs. Yet the default Windows emulation is
> Windows 2000, and it is much easier for me to find Win XP DLLs. So what
> should I do?

I'd guess this hint is outdated. There is a reason the default is the
default.

> Is there a tutorial somewhere based on a real example, showing how to
> find which native DLLs make all the difference between success and
> failure?

An easy way is to look at the error messages and replace the
corresponding DLL. Of course sometimes this is not so easy.
appdb.winehq.org contains a lot of wisdom on individual programs.

Daniel