[Wine] Re: Inability to proceed with installation of Windows app

Leslie Katz lesliek at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 28 01:08:28 CDT 2006

Vincent Povirk wrote:
> Wine does have something like Add/Remove programs, but it's not
> obvious. The command you need is "wine uninstaller".
>
> Your entire fake windows machine is stored in ~/.wine. All you need to
> do to start over is get rid of that directory.
>
> Or you can have wine use a different directory by setting WINEPREFIX:
> export WINEPREFIX=~/some_other_directory
> Before you use it in the new directory, you'll need to use the
> "wineprefixcreate" command to have it build a new fake windows machine
> there.
>
> You can get 20050211 from cvs:
> export CVSROOT=:pserver:cvs at cvs.winehq.org:/home/wine
> cvs login
> (you need to enter a password of 'cvs')
> cvs -z 3 checkout -r Wine-20050212 wine
>
> When you build wine from source and don't install it, the wine command
> is located in /path/to/source/tree/wine. The wineprefixcreate command
> is located in /path/to/source/tree/wine/tools/wineprefixcreate.
>
> Just don't use that version of wine with the same WINEPREFIX as a more
> recent (0.9.x) version. A lot of things have changed since then, and I
> think the result will be very broken.

Thanks for the above information, Vincent.

Consistent with your advice repeated more than once, I'm not going to
try the old version until I'm satisfied that I've tried everything
possible with the new version, but at least I know now how to get the
old version if I want. I'm now going to try all the things mentioned
under "Troubleshooting" in the User Guide.

I know this'll be a bit heretical, but the only program I really want to
try to get running under Wine is my ancient Money program, so, if it
comes to it, I'll give the old version of Wine a go without worrying
about its effect on my running newer versions of Wine.

Even if nothing ever works, I must say I did find it exciting to see
MSIE6 running under Wine, even though I've avoided running IE under
Windows whenever I've been able. Seeing it running reminded me of that
comment of Samuel Johnson's when James Boswell told him he'd heard a
woman preaching. Johnson's comment was: "Sir, a woman's preaching is
like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are
surprised to find it done at all."

Best wishes,

Leslie