[Wine] Re: Linux noob

Geoff Streeter geoff at dyalog.com
Thu Jun 1 02:29:25 CDT 2006

At 2006-05-31 22:26 +0000, Aggro wrote:
>RailroadMonster at gmail.com wrote:
>>Help. I recently switched over to linux (because windows sucks). I love
>>linux, but i need some windows apps to run, (like iTunes), so I
>>installed Wine... however, I am used tot he old windows filesystem and
>>not the linux one, and I can't find the .wine directory. I thought it
>>should be under "filesystem," right? But it's not... Can anyone tell me
>>where my .wine dir might be?
>
>It is a hidden directory, but it is located in users home directory. For
>example if your username is noob, it would propably be /home/noob/.wine/
>
>You can get there from command line by command: cd ~/.wine
>(The ~ is for getting to your home directory, so simple: cd .wine is
>enough, if you are already at your home directory (for example /home/noob/ ) )
>
>And from GUI, if you are using for example Ubuntu and Nautilus as your
>filemanager, it you make sure that "view->show hidden files" is selected.

To clarify just a little. Linux (Unix) does not really have a concept of a
hidden file. However, programs which list files (like "ls") abide by a
convention that files whose names begin with "." are not listed. This goes
back a long way. It probably started with avoiding listing "." (a special
name that points to its directory) and ".." (another special name which
points to its parent directory). It was probably easier to ignore anything
that began with "." rather than test for the special cases. Following this
people who wanted not to clutter their file listings with configuration
files and directories took to naming them such that they began with a ".".