[Wine] Re: Problems with this program

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 08:37:09 CDT 2006

Jonathan Ernst schrieb:
> Le samedi 03 juin 2006 à 00:38 +0200, Molle Bestefich a écrit :
>> Molle Bestefich wrote:
>>> So now the million dollar question is:
>>> How to build Wine with debug information?
>> Seems that I can remove some symbols from Wine executables by running
>> 'strip' on them, so my guess is that Wine is built with debugging
>> symbols per default if you download the source and build it yourself.
>>
>> Please try that, and give us a stack trace with line numbers......
>>
>> (Now I'm not sure how to build a _non_-debug version, maybe someone else knows?)
>
> It's not possible anymore (it has been removed to avoid package manager
> stripping usefull debug information (for example gentoo default use
> flags)) :
It's still possible by changing the CFLAGS to not include '-gstabs+' or even easier by
stripping the debug symbols after compilation.Which btw saves quite a lot of space.
(However, strongly disliked by some devs, so better don't ask anything if doing so :/)

But Molle is right, per default debug symbols are included. So if you build it by yourself
everything should be fine unless you explizitly change it.
If you use some binary packages you probably should contact the packager and ask him to
include the debugging symbols.
The wine devs doesn't really like distributed packages without debugging symbols *g*