[Wine] Re: [Debian Sarge] dependency on libxxf86dga1

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jun 4 12:02:45 CDT 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 16:42, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> >Right. I've just booted up Debian Sarge, and I don't have
> >an /etc/apt/preferences. Doh!
> >
> >Ok. I've added the source URL for backports to /etc/apt/sources.list ,
> > then run
> >aptitude update, then opened up synaptic. Wine is there, as a package from
> >backports along with all the other backported packages, and as I thought
> > also needs libwine as a dependency. Its DL'ing libwine (10.6MB) on dialup
> > at the moment.
> >
> >BIG WARNING. Make sure to comment out the backports URL after DL'ing and
> >installing Wine, and winelib, putting a # in front of the URL, and saving
> > the change. If you don't do this, the next time you run an apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, all the packages that you have on your machine, and are
> > marked for updating from the backports repo, will be updated, which apart
> > from Wine, if it installs ok, is not perhaps a good idea.
>
> OK, so this way I can update once. An automatic update does
> not work this way. Any way to include it regularly in my
> dselect sessions?
Sorry that the next bit is green. I'm not very good with the email client, and
tried to move some text that was in the wrong place.

> pi. True, and means that you have to uncomment the backports repo from time
to time to see if there is an update, which is a bit ridiculous. Having had a
bad experience with reselect when installing Debian, I've left it alone. I
can't understand why the /etc/apt/preferences file is missing. If it was
there you could the suggested lines, and no doubt updates for wine would show
up. I'll post a query to the apt user list. Perhaps you just need to create
a /etc/apt/preferences file, and add those lines to it, but perhaps not.

> On the other hand: Why not just include backborts in the
> regular process for all packages?

I think it's a bit like masked packages in Gentoo, which are packages not
considered ready by the developers for being made freely available, Use them
at your own risk. On that basis you don't want to take a gung ho attitude and
just add all the backported packages to your system, and perhaps hose it.

I installed the backported package for wine on Sarge, but have found some
problems. I don't use wine much, but for this version, running, as user,
winecfg should create a .wine directory in your /home/user_name directory. It
didn't. Then I tried, as user, running notepad, which usually works. But
no-go. Tried wine notepad, and got some errors, but the .wine directory was
created in /home/user_name directory, as was the case in earlier versions of
wine. Running regedit as user, opens up regedit, but the fonts are all messed
up.

I did notice that the wine server does not seem to be running as a service. On
FC2 it's on the services to be started at boot up, but looking at sysVinit on
Debian Sarge, it's not there, and I'm not sure how to add stuff to start at
bootup on Debian.

If you want to post to the apt mailing list  the link is.

Nigel.