[Wine] wine 0.9.14, Xorg7.1 and nvidia driver

A. Drosos drososa at otenet.gr
Sat Jun 10 08:31:39 CDT 2006

Hi all

Of interest to developers and Linux users with nvidia cards running Xorg7.1.

3 days ago I built wine-0.9.14 from source on a linuxfromscratch system.
The built went fine. However, the fonts on all wine dialog boxes (e.g.
winecfg) were invisible. I spent several hours rebuilding, trying out
different combinations of freetype / fontforge etc.

Anyway, my box uses an nvidia card and for 3d graphics accel I use the
nvidia driver (version 8762 - partially supported in Xorg7.1). Switching
back to the slower nv that comes with Xorg7.1, lo and behold, the fonts
were visible and wine seems to work fine. So, I ended up having to switch
drivers whenever I wish to use wine, trying to hold my breath until a new
version of nvidia driver is released that supports the ABI of Xorg7.1 (:(

Same holds for wine-0.9.15 that just came out.