[Wine] Re: Wine message re glx - what can I do about it?

Paul Romanyszyn pgr at arcelectronicsinc.com
Mon Jun 12 23:16:45 CDT 2006

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> David Dawson <gobble_em_up at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>OK Thanks. I'm considering upgrading from Sarge to Etch and perhaps it will
>>be fixed with that. I understand than in Etch, a switch has taken place
>>from XFree to Xorg. Are there Wine issues with Xorg?
>

> None that I know of, I'm happily using a Xorg backport on sarge (ok, no
> too happy as it randomly crashes while doing OpenGL every now and then).
>
> Daniel
Switching from Mandriva 2005 le which used xfree to Mandriva 2006 with
xorg on two different motherboards both with built in video became
unstable. One had S3 unichrome the other intel 845 (i think). The
unichrome xorg driver has bugs and openchrome was a little better but
still would reboot X. I install a nvidia Geforce fx5200 and no more x
crashes.

Some problems with xorg and unichrome or openchrome.
1. Wine applications crash X. Going a few commits one way or the other
seems to changes the memory map  and fixed the crash.
2. Some cursor problems on switcher cad running under wine.
3. Other Linux cad programs Qcad and Eagle pcb software would crash X
when panning.
4. Cad programs writing out of the window and even on other desktops.

All fixed with the addition of an agp video card.

Paul