[Wine] Re: wine-0.9.15 & winetools problems.

Derek McGowan dmcgowan at deniment.on.ca
Tue Jun 13 22:14:33 CDT 2006

Hi All ...

  I've been following this thread, and it seems to have gotten a little heated
at times.

   The only point I'd like to make before stating my experience with IE6 and
Wine is this ...

   Linux is not Windows, Wine is not Windows, Users of Windows who have no
experience in DOS(let alone *nix), will have a heck of a time trying to
configure wine to function how they are experienced to having Windows
function.   I am not new to Linux, Wine, Windows OR computers in general, and
I'm still having a heck of a time ... as Mr. T would say (and now I'm dating
myself) "I pity da fool".   Before flying off the handle, or getting upset
because something doesn't work, or isn't documented to our satisfaction, lets
remember that wine is still in beta, it's not commercial software, it's
written by a bunch of great people that donate their time and brainpower in
order to better the Linux experience - would you punish the guy that cut your
lawn for free but missed a few blades?  How about the guy that built your
house for free but painted it a colour you didn't like?  Of course not, so
lets not get down on the people who are either creating this wonderful
system, documenting it, or trying their best to help people who have grown up
on windows understand the concept and reason behind . files (although I do
agree that the wine list is not exactly the place to learn linux basics.)

Thank you to everyone who has helped everyone - no matter how small your
contribution may have been, it was important to somebody.

Now to the point.

   I run SUSE 10.0, Started with Wine 0.9.11 configured with Winetools (I Know
- but it worked) after upgrading to Wine 0.9.14 (I install by RPMs only), my
IE stopped working, my WMP couldn't open files anymore, so, since I knew that
winetools was supposed to be less than optimal, I uninstalled Winetools,
uninstalled Wine, removed remnents (.wine), re-installed Wine 0.9.14 and have
since upgraded to 0.9.15.

   I have followed all of the instructions in this thread for installing IE6,
to the last detail.  It does not work. sometimes I get the "download was
damaged" message - just try it again immediately - downloads and installs
fine ... but Internet explorer will not run.

   When I type wine iexplore, a big white blank window opens up.  I remembered
about using native iexplore added to wine in 0.9.14, so I typed wine iexplore
http://www.google.ca - same window opens up but has "HTML rendering is
currently disabled"

   Either I missed a post, am doing something wrong, or the addition of a
native version of IE to wine has disallowed MS Internet Explorer to function
under Wine.

   Under most circumstances this would be perfectly fine by me, but
unfortunately, one of my suppliers (Ingram Micro) sees it in their infinite
wisdom to only allow passwords entered by IE6 - I have tried Firefox (both in
windows and Linux) and Konqueror, but neither work, and I am threatened that
my account will be locked due to invalid password.  This did work perfectly
fine under Wine 0.9.11 configured with Winetools.

   One last note, In a sputtering last attempt at self rectification (read:
attempted to fix it myself), I tried winetools again - no luck same problems
as before.

   Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/scooby snacks?

Derek McGowan