[Wine] Re: wine-0.9.15 & winetools problems.

Paul Romanyszyn pgr at arcelectronicsinc.com
Tue Jun 13 22:52:55 CDT 2006

Derek McGowan wrote:
[snip]
> Now to the point.
>
>    I run SUSE 10.0, Started with Wine 0.9.11 configured with Winetools (I Know
> - but it worked) after upgrading to Wine 0.9.14 (I install by RPMs only), my
> IE stopped working, my WMP couldn't open files anymore, so, since I knew that
> winetools was supposed to be less than optimal, I uninstalled Winetools,
> uninstalled Wine, removed remnents (.wine), re-installed Wine 0.9.14 and have
> since upgraded to 0.9.15.
>
>    I have followed all of the instructions in this thread for installing IE6,
> to the last detail.  It does not work. sometimes I get the "download was
> damaged" message - just try it again immediately - downloads and installs
> fine ... but Internet explorer will not run.
>
>    When I type wine iexplore, a big white blank window opens up.  I remembered
> about using native iexplore added to wine in 0.9.14, so I typed wine iexplore
> http://www.google.ca - same window opens up but has "HTML rendering is
> currently disabled"
>
>    Either I missed a post, am doing something wrong, or the addition of a
> native version of IE to wine has disallowed MS Internet Explorer to function
> under Wine.
The built dll are used by ie6 and iexplorer's so some form of DLL
override is required but an easier way.

>    Under most circumstances this would be perfectly fine by me, but
> unfortunately, one of my suppliers (Ingram Micro) sees it in their infinite
> wisdom to only allow passwords entered by IE6 - I have tried Firefox (both in
> windows and Linux) and Konqueror, but neither work, and I am threatened that
> my account will be locked due to invalid password.  This did work perfectly
> fine under Wine 0.9.11 configured with Winetools.
>
>    One last note, In a sputtering last attempt at self rectification (read:
> attempted to fix it myself), I tried winetools again - no luck same problems
> as before.
>
>    Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/scooby snacks?

You can compile from source one of the older version that works. You
don't have to install it as you can run it from the install tree using
./wine Use what ever method to get IE6 to run. If what worked before
does not now  MS may have modified there download site and broke IE6
installs. If it does work make a shortcut to run the wine from the tree
and fire up ie6

You may be able to use the same .wine folder for your current latest RPM
if not there is a compile or configure option to change the location of
the .wine folder.
Paul