[Wine] failure of status 127

Francesco Pietra frapietra at alice.it
Fri Jun 16 23:30:19 CDT 2006

Re-sent to add that the warning is serious: had I used apt-get both yesterday
and today, probably I had not revovered wine, because a reinstall today of
libwine would have probably led to the same failure.
______________________

With 32bit etch debian, following an yesterday:

#aptitude update (and upgrade)

Daniel:
As you migth remember, I got the error "failure of status 127" as on last June
10 (on that occasion following apt-get update and upgrade)

At that time the remedy was:

#apt-get remove libwine
followed by
#apt-get install libwine

Now I prefer aptitude or dselect, so that yesterday
#aptiture update (and upgrade), by which much of wine was modified (I did not
take notice of) I got the same error 127, and applications did not launch.

The remedy was:

#aptiture remove libwine
answering:
Downgrading wine [0.9.12-1 testing now) -> 0.9.12~winehq1-1 (<NULL>)
follwed by:
libwine will be removed
(bear in mind that I had from the beginning installed winetools).

Without reinstalling libwine, now my two absolutely-necessary-for-my-work
applications are working again. The font has changed but may be improved.

That's to let you know.

Finally, because of repeated failures in a few days, would it (with etch) be
advisable to stop updating/upgrading wine for a while? It is a question of
safety (for pepole like me who need wine for their daily work) not a
criticism.

Cheers
francesco pietra