[Wine] WINEPS.DRV built-in: How to fake out bad applications...?

pfortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Jun 17 10:05:17 CDT 2006

I've been unable to get a [badly written] commercial application to get
past this app's insistence on finding WINEPS.DRV...  it complains with
"NO DEFAULT PRINTER SELECTED" -- days of searching, reading, trying
every approach has me tearing my hair out.  Worse, my knowledge of C is
ancient (circa 1970)...

Can anyone either suggest a patch or pointer to the best place to add
code where the requirement is this (assuming it's the best way to
handle my problem):   when a dumb application thinks it knows best and
tries to locate a driver directly (WINEPS.DRV in this case), and that
driver is a built-in, fake the app by giving it what it needs to move
on to the next stage...  or is there a simpler way, like giving it a
stub or somesuch where it expects it..?  An empty file and another
driver copied to WINEPS.DRV didn't fake it out either.

Thanks,
Pierre