[Wine] How come wine doesn't improve?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 10:21:47 CDT 2006

On 17 Jun 2006 at 16:10, Colin Pitrat wrote:

> Well, it's not the impression I have. I guess your impression is, as
> mine, based on a quite small applications sample, that is not really
> representative. Maybe none of them use features that are actively
> developped in wine for now (Direct3D, TWAIN, RPC ...), and maybe you
> won't see a bug fix that corrected many apps but broke one of yours.
> You will say "there's less apps working" whereas there will be a bunch
> of new working apps.

That is exactly my problem.

> Or maybe you're waiting for a long time for one of your apps to work
> properly, and you don't see any improvement. Every new version of
> wine, you launch your app, and you see exactly the same behaviour. If
> this is the case, you should read this :
> http://www.winehq.com/site/howto

Yes I have.  I regularly post my testing results in the AppDB and bugs in
bugzilla for my target app (MS Money 2004).  I have responded to
request that I do regression testing but I have come to dead end with a
problem that no one has got back to me on.  I will help all I can but I am
limited in my own technical knowledge.

> Don't worry, wine does improve !

This depends on your viewpoint ...

Tony