[Wine] Re: How come wine doesn't improve?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 12:32:21 CDT 2006

Hi Duane

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 09:13 -0700, Duane Clark wrote:
> Tony Pursell wrote:
> >
> > However, I get the impression that games get a lot more attention and
> > excite the devlopers more than my boring business apps.  I can't
> > complain.  Except for the contributions of Codeweavers, all the
> > developers are volunteers and we cannot (must not) make them feel
> > obliged to sort out our specific problems.
>
> I rarely see patches for games coming from a Codeweavers developer, and
> they supply the majority of patches. They concentrate on office apps,
> because they are trying to sell their CrossOver Office product, which is
> aimed at running office apps.

I meant that Codeweavers developers are the paid ones, i.e not just
volunteers.

> I notice on the list of supported apps
> that it doesn't mention MS Money at all, which surprises me a bit.
> Perhaps MS
>  Money is a personal use product that businesses generally
> don't use (I have no idea actually)?

The apps I want to use (Money and a UK tax calculation package) are, of
course, personal apps.

> Clearly, the games development in Wine has attracted a significant group
> of very active developers. This is a fairly recent thing; for most of
> the time I have been using Wine, games received very little attention
> from developers.

If you look at the Top 25 in AppDB you will see that most are
games/leisure apps and others (Office and Photoshop) have good
equivalents under Linux (OpenOffice.org and the GIMP) anyway. So games
seem to have the user focus.  The one very popular 'business' app in
that list is Quick Books and it has a 'garbage' rating.

I wonder if there is anything that non-developers, like me, can do to
encourage the developers to look at getting these non-games apps
working?

> I can help you do regression testing if you want, but you would need to
> use CVS rather than git. I tried git, and it was just too hard for me ;)
> But CVS is in my opinion very easy to use for regression testing.

I will continue with git for now.