[Wine] Re: How to install programs in wine?

Ron Thompson webmaster at plansandprojects.com
Sun Jun 25 00:15:58 CDT 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:53:01 -0400, Vincent Povirk wrote:

>> There are three windows partitions on this machine besides the linux
>> one. The wine c: points to HDA1. There is a real windows directory
>> there, but it doesn't show up in terminal when looking at wine. Maybe
>> the multiple partitions (on two physical drives) are throwing wine off?
> You should really let Wine use the c: directory that it creates. I don't
> think using another drive as c: is really a supported setup (in fact I've
> heard running things from vfat partitions is known to cause weird problems
> and suspect ntfs could do the same).
>
> Wine comes with its own windows directory, its own dlls, and its own
> programs that you shouldn't mess with (except on occasion if it doesn't
> happen to provide some dll or you have to to get some program to run).
>
> Some people like to copy program files directly from a windows partition
> and try to run them. That doesn't always work, much like copying program
> files from one windows machine to another doesn't always work (often the
> program relies on something like registry entries, and if this is the case
> then there's no way wine could run it properly). That's why the
> documentation says to run the installer on wine.
>
> Otherwise, creating drive letters for your other partitions shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> If you want to start over, you can always rename your .wine directory to
> something else and it'll make a new one.

OK. Thanks for the help. people. I found my main problem was wine wasn't
installed properly.
I got it running by deleting it and loading the latest from Wine HQ.

I know wine is operational because I was able to load and run and old
version of TurboCAD.
I am attempting to get AutoCAD200 to work. It seems every time I jump
through a hoop, there is another behind it!
I got the DLLs in the right place, finally. Now it appears there is a line
of code that does something screwy.
I am not a programmer and don't know how to debug it.

here is where I am:
***********************
ron at ron-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ACAD2000$ wine acad
wine: Call from 0x6372b436 to unimplemented function ac1st15.dll.?__acMalloc@@YIPAXI at Z, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function ac1st15.dll.?__acMalloc@@YIPAXI at Z called at address 0x6372b436 (thread 002f), starting debugger...
Usage:
        winedbg [ [ --gdb ] [ prog-name [ prog-args ] | <num> | file.mdmp | --help ]

--

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)