[Wine] REPOST: No printing possible in wine 0.9.15

Sven Rudolph sven at spaghetticode.de
Thu Jun 29 06:09:53 CDT 2006

Hello List,

sorry, that I have to repost my question a third time (last postings on June
23.), but unfortunately my problem remains unsolved.

Here we go again:
In short: I can print from any application except wine.

My systems (first try):

Workstation ray (192.168.99.10):
Gentoo 2006.0
wine-0.9.15
Cups-1.1.23
no /etc/printcap
no local printer connected
/etc/cups/client.conf contains the line: ServerName 192.168.99.60

Print server goza (192.168.99.60):
Gentoo 2006.0
Cups-1.1.23, running as server
Connected to Printer Canon i560

The effective use flags for wine are:
USE="X alsa arts cups esd gif jack jpeg ldap ncurses opengl oss truetype
xml -debug -glut -lcms -nas -scanner".
So wine is compiled with cups support.

Printing on my workstation works very well from any application (even lpr on
the command line), except wine.
When I try to print from a wine application, e.g. notepad, my printer named
i560, which is NOT connected locally, but to my print server, shows up in
the print dialog properly. But when I click the OK button just nothing
happens.

This is what i do in detail:
- remove ~/.wine
- run winecfg from xterm
  winecfg complains about printer problems, but continues:

  wine: creating configuration directory '/home/sven/.wine'...
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  fixme:winspool:AddPrinterW DocumentPropertiesW on printer 'L"i560"' fails
  To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files.
  wine: '/home/sven/.wine' created successfully.

- create a text file test.txt in ~/.wine/drive_c/ containing "This is a
test"
- open test.txt with notepad from xterm
- try to print the file, printer dialog shows up, offers printer i560, but
no button has any effect, except "Cancel" (even print to file doesn't
work). Everytime i press "Properties" or "OK" the error messages

"To use WINEPS you need to install some AFM files."

or

"fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_UpdatePrintDlgW No lpdm ptr?
fixme:commdlg:PRINTDLG_WMCommandW Update printdlg was not successful!"

show up in my xterm.

All my AFM files are in /usr/share/fonts/Type1. I also have
gnu-gs-fonts-other and gnu-gs-fonts-std installed. So I think missing fonts
can't be the problem...
The other error messages are incomprehensible to me.

Since there is no local /etc/printcap on my workstation, but wine (notepad)
lists my printer i560 in the print dialog, it seems that wine is at least
able to fetch some information about my printing environment, although it
is unable to actually print.

I searched Google-Groups and found some postings about these or similar
error messages. Most of them saying "Update to a newer version", on of them
saying "It works when you remove gimp-print" and one (Huw Davies) saying
that this is a bug, that was fixed in wine-0.9.

None of these hints was of any help for me, and since wine switched from
config files to registry, searching for misconfigurations is a real pain,
if possible at all.
Wincfg has a lot of options, but none of them seem to be related to cups or
printing, so now I'm stuck.

Maybe wine is generally unable to print, if the printer isn't connected
locally? (I believe not)

List member Duane Clark suggested to change my cups configuration from
client server to server server.
That's what I did. Now I have a local cupsd running, which forwards all
print jobs to the cupsd on goza.
In my local /etc/cups/client.conf I commented out the server line:

# ServerName 192.168.99.60

Unfortunately the results and error messages remain the same. I can print
from any application, except wine.

Any further or new suggestions would be very appreciated!

Maybe I should post this on the wine developers list?

Thanks in advance
Sven Rudolph