[Wine] I need to make some comment on WineTools

Philip V. Neves pneves at telus.net
Fri Mar 3 16:34:29 CST 2006

I just red the article on the website about winetools.  This is
controversy is a non starter in my oppinion. I believe that something
like winetools should be included in the wine distribution to begin
with.  It should be something under the control of the developers
themselves and bug reports should be added to fix any problems. Why did
it take someone outside of the wine development team to do this. For the
average user we don't want to have to make a gazillion changes in
winecfg. You guys are always adding new features or making changes. I
want to just get something going not get stopped at the door by a huge
barrier to entry.

If the development team had such a tool it could make test releases and
production releases. The production release would have the right
combination of native libraries and windows DLLs installed to get things
going.  While the test release would be used for people who want to
test. I think this would be an excellent compromise here. This way the
development of winetools and wine will go in the right direction to a
final working system.

Furthermore.... IE is a necessary part of windows now. Functionality for
it needs to be in wine. Its not something that can be disgarded or
ignored. Allot of applications use IEs DLL's and functionality these
days. So its intrinsically part of the windows API.  You won't get 100%
compatibility without the functionality it offers.