[Wine] I need to make some comment on WineTools

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Mon Mar 6 16:46:04 CST 2006

>> Furthermore.... IE is a necessary part of windows now.
>> Functionality for it needs to be in wine. Its not
>>  something that can be disgarded or ignored. Al
>> lot of applications use IEs DLL's and functionality
>> these days. So its intrinsically part of the windows
>> API.  You won't get 100% compatibility without the
>> functionality it offers.
>
> The Wine-Developers are programming very hard to make
> embedded IE6 calls usable by Open Source replacements
> like mozilla control. If this is done there will be
> no need to install IE6 under Wine.

I'd like to test this functionality more in Wine (I've been building from
CVS code lately, so currently I'm post-0.9.9).  The problem is, some apps
will explicitly *check* for the MSIE level installed, and will refuse to
install unless they like what they see.  So we still need a way to
"register" a fake MSIE version.  As an example, I was just trying to
install H&R Block's _DeductionPro_ that came with TaxCut 2005 (which, BTW,
installs & runs fine under Wine, just needing a couple of tweaks.  A report
on that later).  DPro wanted at minimum MSIE 4.0, and didn't see anything
that gave it a valid MSIE version.

Any suggestions on what many of these apps are looking for in the way of
IEversion calls?