[Wine] VDQ : Have I made a wine's nest?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 9 14:11:56 CST 2006

Very Dumb Question here -- basically, am I in trouble? Or in other words,
I have to ask myself a Falstaffian question: "Which .wine, Bezonian?"

Let me expound.

On several lists for different parts of the problem, according to their
interest and my best judgment, I've been pursuing the topic of GPS/topo
map settings, under Crossover Office Pro 5.0.1 (CXO) using Fedora Core 4,
trying to get a couple of suites of proprietary map software to
communicate with a GPS -- most recently on grc.techtalk.linux from
news.grc.com, since that's where the interest seems to be at the present
stage.

I've made it as far as getting Garmin MapSource Topo 3.0 and Maptech
Terrain Navigator 4.02 to do all their things EXCEPT interface with my GPS
-- and that's a sine qua non, since I use the whole combination for
hunting and hiking.

Yesterday, I think it was, I discovered to my consternation that I had
no .wine, anywhere, on the machine I've been (mostly) working on.

That probably means I'm working on the machine where I had done "yum
install wine" after installing CXOPro -- only to discover that had been
needless -- and then foolishly tried to clean up by doing "yum remove
wine," thinking I had a superfluous instance.

Whether I had an extra or no, yum must have removed everything, including
CXO's copy of wine.

So I did "yum install wine" again -- and still couldn't find a .wine
anywhere. More by dumb luck than anything else, I simply commanded "wine"
-- as root. That showed me that doing so *created* a .wine -- in root's
directory.

So I went to my user prompt in my user directory, and did

[btth at localhost ~]$ wine
wine: creating configuration directory '/home/btth/.wine'...
wine: '/home/btth/.wine' created successfully.
Wine 0.9.9
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...]   Run the specified program
       wine --help                   Display this help and exit
       wine --version                Output version information and exit
[btth at localhost ~]$

Now, NOW, I can get back to trying to tell my topo map suites where to
find my GPSs -- the grc.techtalk.linux people (who have already walked me
through making symlinks in bottles in .cxoffice) think maybe that should
be in .wine -- symlinking com1 and com2 to one or another /dev/tty ; but
in which .wine?

Should I do the symlink in both root's and btth's .wine? Or get rid of
root's and do it only in btth's? Or what?? And if I should get rid of
root's, with what command? Not yum again, and probably not rpm -e (which
may be the same for aught I know).

Or am I going to have to uninstall everything from the ground up,
including my two configured and running GPS/topo map programs, and all of
CXO -- and then do the whole shebang over from scratch?? <sob, whimper,
sniff ...>

Sorry to have blundered into all this like such a clueless clod; can
somebody toss me a spare clue, please? Pretty please?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC4; gpsd-2.30-1;gpsdrive 2.10pre2; CXO 5.0.1