[Wine] Wine esound/esd sound output

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Fri Mar 10 15:15:19 CST 2006

>I was trying the wine esound output plugin but the sound is really
>choppy. On IRC it was noted that only the OSS output worked properly and
>that esound implementation was quite crappy.
>
>However I really need esound output since we use an LTSP setup. The
>sound if only available through esd.

Is the sound choppy with many/all applications, or just a few? We have
been using the esd driver for some time and it usually works fairly good
for us. It's certainly not perfect, though.

One other alternative is to use the OSS driver with the esddsp wrapper. In
this case, you'll need to apply an Esound patch that I've done that adds
support for catching fopen64/open64. It's in the GNOME Bugzilla.

The long term solution is to migrate to Polypaudio. There's no Wine PA
driver yet, as far as I know, but the ALSA driver *might* work with the
ALSA-PA-plugin that we have recently developed. It allows for networked
audio using the PA protocol with basically any ALSA application.

Regards,
--
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio			http://www.cendio.se