[Wine] Windows vs Linux

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Mon May 1 08:53:21 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 09:57 -0300, sebas22 wrote:
> On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:47:06 +0200, Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk at spth.de>
> wrote:
>

> >To me http://shelleytherepublican.com/ looks as if it's satirical.
> >On the other hand when I first heard the song "Die Partei hat immer
> >Recht" I thought it was satirical, too.
> >

> "Apache/1.3.34 Server at shelleytherepublican.com Port 80"
>
> By this I guess it's a joke all right. But the fact that we're still
> wondering wether it's a joke or not is _very_ worrying, since it means
> our times are able to generate such thoughs.
>
> Arghhh ! Give me some air to breath !

Back in 94 I was an OP in #descent on EFNet.  Basically it was where we
all gathered prior to playing an IHHD (null modem over the internet) or
Kali (IPX 'vpn' over TCP/IP) game.  After OS/2 Warp came out, I became a
big fan of OS/2.  Nice fast, stable system (way more stable than
Win3.1), excellent multitasking, and DOS better than DOS (I love DOS).

Anyways, I was extremely delighted when Kali for OS/2 came out in early
95.  Now I could leave IRC up, and start Kali to play a game at the same
time.  Previously, Kali was DOS only which meant setting up DOS packet
drivers for your modem(!), and only having one application run at a time
- Basically - Minuet, FTP, telnet, or Kali.

Since Kali for OS/2 opened a whole new world of multitasking while
waiting for someone to want to start a game of Descent, I continuously
expressed my happiness in the channel.

This is where it get's interesting.  Some guy named 'Michael' (IIRC) who
also hung out in #windows and #windows95 started coming into #descent
and just randomly attacking OS/2.  I was quite perplexed by this.  His
ranting generally started with me saying to someone, "Do you have OS/2?
Kali/2 allows multitasking". Michael would interject with "I don't want
a virus."  Turns out he was referring to OS/2.  He never had any
concrete reasons for not liking OS/2, as far as I could tell, he never
even tried it.  All he would spout on about was Windows 95 (which was
still a good 6 months off), how great it was, and how OS/2 was a virus.

Years later I found out this is the definition of a shill.  Someone
who's paid by a company to tout their product as if they have no vested
interest.   It did fit in perfectly with the sales reps who, in retail
stores, avoided the techs and told the sales people on the floor to sell
Win95 "No matter what the customer really needed, CPU, Memory, HD.".   I
really was a fan of MS before I was exposed to those shennagins.

I'd say these websites are shillers, all you can really do is spread the
Truth and let the customer decide.

Rick

Rick Romero
IT Manager