[Wine] Re: running dBase app with wine

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Tue May 2 00:05:14 CDT 2006

On Sat April 29 2006 16:23, sebas22 wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:52:14 +0200, "Mrkljus" <aposdi at brbr.hr> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a problem running dBase application with wine. Is there any
> > solution I can try with?
> >
> >Has anyone succeeded to run dbu.exe with wine, for example...
>
> Use xHarbour ( open source : www.xharbour.org , commercial version :
> www.xharbour.com which use the open source compiler plus comercial
> addons), it's multiplataform (DOS, win32, *nix, OS/2)  and 99% clipper
> compatible, so you can compile-link smoothly dbu in a linux native
> binary
>
> There is an active news server on news://news.xharbour.org
>
> Another open source solution is harbour, www.harbour-project.org
> (xharbour is a fork of harbour)
>
> Another one, but not free is flagship
I am using dosemu with foxpro/dos v2.6.  By using external editors (not in fp,
I can edit in separate dosemu windows, the rerun the app.  I can also run
multiple foxpro/dosemu windows with different apps in each.

I tried harbour a couple of years ago.  I asked about the size of 'hello
world', to get an idea of the code bloat issue, and was chastised for asking
such a question.  I asked because in dos, I occasionally run a compiler
called dBFast for dos (not the windows one).  It uses an 85K tsr and my
200-300 line apps are about 10-15k in size.  I was told that I would not be
happy with harbour, as it typically creates 600k minimum executables.  It
also does not create executables.  There are other processes involved, of
sufficient complication that it was not worth spending the time.  This was
under dos.

Maybe it has improved.  By the way, unless they have another mail list, I am
registered with them, yet I rarely receive any mail.  I am hoping for a
simple dbase III plus compiler (real, no built in interpreter).  The closest
that I have found is Force, but the 3 developers split a few years ago, and
even though the site exists, it has not been updated, they do not respond to
emails, and I cannot figure how to purchase their product.  By the way,
force, using dbase syntax creates a 2k 'hello world.exe'.

--
John R. Sowden
AMERICAN SENTRY SYSTEMS, INC.
mail at americansentry.net