[Wine] Re: unable to compile

CrashedAgain tedhansen at sasktel.net
Tue May 2 09:25:16 CDT 2006

The oldest wine version in backports is 0.9.7 so it won't help with the
20040121 version. The above attempt at compiling 0.9.12 was just to
check if I was able to compile anything & was done with gcc 3.3.5 from
stable.

Yes,chroot is essentially having two systems sort of at the same time.
I say 'sort of' because if you chroot to the other system you change
over to that system entirely, so you would have to have an entire
duplicate system to keep your other apps running. Even then there is
issues with where is 'home' & maintaining bookmarks, address files etc
on two systems.

What I have been doing is just installing the wine version I want at
the time...ie if I want to use turbocad i have to force install
20040121 but then I have to restore the system when I'm done or else
apt won't work.  I was hoping that by compiling it with libc6 2.3.xx on
the system it would record it's dependencies as being libc6 2.3.xx
instead of 2.2.90 which would mean I wouldn't have to force install it.
I was also hoping that if I could get it to compile I could have two
versions on the system at the same time.This is possible, there is some
info in how to select which version to use
(http://www.winehq.com/pipermail/wine-users/2001-August/003570.html)
but so far I haven't figured out how to install two versions.

I would also like to track down the bugs so turbocad would run on the
latest versions but this is maybe more than my meagre abilities can do.