[Wine] wine hangs on first run

Vincente Aggrippino vaggrippino at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:12:39 CDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Daniel Skorka <skorka at gmx.net> wrote:

> Vincente Aggrippino <vaggrippino at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   - A directory that looks like a .wine directory is created, but the
> >   directory name is suffixed with a dash and a seemingly random
> string.  For
> >   example: .wine-d7DD26
>
> That's a temporary directory that will be renamed to .wine when
> wineprefixcreate is done.
>
> >   - If I use strace -p 11549, in this case, the system call it's hung on
> >   is "recv(12, ".  I don't know if this is helpful at all.
>
> A more complete strace of winecfg and wineprefixcreate would be helpful.

Using strace -ff -o winecfg_trace winecfg, the main trace file is 4M and the
one for the wineprefixcreate PID is 37k.  I could probably zip them up and
make them a lot smaller, but is there a way to narrow it down?

I know enough to look up system calls in their associated man pages, but
that's about the extent of my system call knowledge.

   - If I look at the main trace file, it's waiting for wineprefixcreate
   (via waitpid()) and wineprefixcreate is waiting for it's child.  The last
   line just says "waitpid(-1, ", without the closing parentheses.
   - winecreateprefix's child is running "rundll32.exe
setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection
   DefaultInstall 128 wine.inf" in the process listing and its trace file
   says it's waiting to receive something from file descriptor 11 ("recv(11,
   ").
   - File descriptor 11 is where I stop understanding the man pages.  It
   opens a socket connection like this: "socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM,
   IPPROTO_IP) = 11"

Can I attach files to a mailing list?  Is there a useful subset of the trace
information that I can put into an email?

Daniel

Thank you for your help.

-- Vince