[Wine] Re: more compile problems

CrashedAgain tedhansen at sasktel.net
Fri May 5 17:30:09 CDT 2006

I think you are right, I should try a different tarball. I obtained
this one from
http://ftp.citkit.ru/pub/sourceforge/w/wi/wine/ which I found by
googling wine then search results for 20040121.

Seems odd that the search didn't turn up
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/ but it didn't, at least not on
the first few pages.

hdb3 is an ext3 system which also has a Debian Sarge install on it
(thus the /home/crashedagain directory), for this particular attempt I
was running from my 'normal' operating system which is
Debian-started-as-Kanotix on hda8.

My history attempting to compile this app is a bit convoluted: I
discovered this version of wine would run my TurboCad program by using
old Knoppix disks. I then set up hdb3 & installed a minimal Debian
Sarge system  on it so I would have a 'crashable' system to play with.
I then located a .deb package (Ubuntu) for wine 20040121, installed it
(had to force the install) & confirmed that it would run Turbocad. I
did not attempt a new install of Turbocad, just copied the .wine
directory from Knoppix. I then located the tarball & attempted to
compile which it would not do using gcc from Debain Sarge. So, using my
laptop (a person known a she-who-must-be-obeyed objected to my regular
computer always being 'messed up' doing 'something wierd') I did the
configure & make steps running from the Knoppix disk on the laptop, the
result going onto a vfat system. I then copied that directory to hdb3 &
attempted to do the make install. Cannot do the make install from the
Knoppix disk because it is read-only run from CD system & could not
continue on the laptop because the HD was full. This is where I'm at
now. I will get a different tarballl from sourceforge & try again,
hopefully I will be able to do all from the Sarge install.