[Wine] No "system32" directory. ( to run Merrian-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary )

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Fri May 12 03:32:49 CDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2006 14:35 schrieben Sie:
> On 5/11/06, Stefan Munz <stefan.munz at itomig.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2006 05:41 schrieb narkewoody at gmail.com:
> > > i just installed wine and want to use the "Merrian-Webster's
> > > Collegiate Dictionary".  the installation of this on-line dictionary
> > > seemed okay, but when we went to launch it, it failed and reported
> > > following error:
> > >
> > > --------------------
> > > Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is
> > > not accessible.
> >
> > can you access this directory from a (linux) console? It should be
> > located in ~/.wine/windows/system32, if you didn't chance the default
> > values.
> >
> > BTW: What are the contents of your .wine/dosdevices dir?
> >
> > cu,
> >
> > Stefan
>
> thanks. i found the 'missing of system32' error was caused by the
> changing of default path setting for c drive.  now it is solved.
>
> but the merrian-webster dictionary still can not run. it seems some
> DLLs missed, e.g. MSVCIRT.dll,  xnmr70mt.dll, xnmpr510.dll.  what do i
> do ?

can you post the error message please? For testing I would try to copy the
dlls from a windows box (if you have one).

> and, i also found, during installation of the program ( running of the
> setup.exe ), there are still many many error messages printed. but,
> the installation process seemed been completed, so i dont know if i
> can safely ignore these errors.

Normally, if the installer runs to the end, everything should be ok. But the
missing dlls mentioned above could indicate a problem with the installer. Did
you get error messages or FIXMEs? Maybe you can post them here too (or just
the last 20 lines)